Wednesday, July 9, 2008

2008 Batchelder Award Honor Winner


The Cat or, How I Lost Eternity by Jutta Richter is the story of a little girl named Christine. She always get to school late because she spends time talking to a cat. One day, her teacher Mr. Hanke finally sends her to the principal to get punished for being late everyday. He punishes her by having her write "There are no talking cats and in the future I will come to school on time" 200 times. She tells the cat the punishment and in someway manipulates her to write it without the word "no". It makes her believe that if she writes it 200 times as directed by the principal, she will start believe that. She finally realizes the cat is mean, manipulating, and wicked. She decides to not talk to it anymore.

I found this book hard to understand. I think the message was to not let yourself be manipulated or controlled by anything or anyone. I would not recommend this book.

No comments: