Saturday, July 12, 2008

2008 Best Books for Young Adults


Before I Die by Jenny Downham. Being a parent this was hard to read, but being a human being made it harder. Tessa is a 16 year old who is told by doctors she doesn't have much time to live since she has cancer. Instead of feeling sorry for herself, she makes the decision to live life to the fullest and makes a list of things she wants to do before she dies. This includes experimenting with sex and drugs. As I read, I started wondering what I would write on my list if I was Tessa. This book also kind of reminded me of the movie, "The Bucket List". The one person I also felt very much for was her father, that as a parent I could see myself trying anything and everything to find a cure for my child. With hard days and happier days, Tessa learns to accept her fate and even though the story doesn't have the ending one hopes for, one knows that even though when someone dies, they will always remain alive in your heart. I would recommend this book to young adults in high school and anyone who is up to taking the challenge that we should live every day as it was our last day on earth.

No comments: