Saturday, July 12, 2008

2008 Best Books for Young Adults


Touching Snow by Sindy M. Felin. Do you believe in guardian angels? If you don't, after reading this you sure will. Reading this book was quite a frustrating experience, not because it wasn't interesting but because of what was happening in the story. Throughout the story I felt the frustration of sisters having to deal with a stepfather that often gave them really bad beatings; once almost to the point of killing the older sister, Enid. I felt like I wanted to get in the story and hit him myself.... do something!!! I felt frustrated with the Mother who for lack of education, lack of self confidence felt that without him, her family would struggle even more financially. AAAWWWW!!! This is a wonderful, powerful story of sometimes taking matters into your own hands when circumstances don't really give you other options. It also made me think of guardian angels because at the end, when Karina (Katu) finds a way to finally get rid of this man. To her surprise, all her guaridan angels help set up the stepfather's death, and finally put an end to their daily torture. I was so happy at the end... and relieved!

No comments: